Are you interested in getting into kayak coaching? Canoe Racing NZ have developed a new coaching course and qualification to give new and existing coaches the skills and knowledge required to safely and effectively teach beginner level paddlers.
Try Learn Explore Coach is the first step on the CRNZ Coach development pathway.
The Try Learn Explore Coach workshop is a 2-day practical course, aiming provide participants with information and skills around how to effectively coach beginner level paddlers (kids and adults), how to create a safe and positive paddling environment, and perform simple rescue techniques and safe practices.
It is suitable for anyone over the age of 16years (although you must be at least 18years to become a qualified TLE coach).
On completion of the workshop, participants should:
- understand the principles of the Try Learn Explore program
- understand the basic needs of paddlers in the TLE programs
- understand and demonstrate effective communication strategies
- understand how to plan, prepare and deliver a positive introductory paddling experience.
- have ability to manage and adapt to scenarios by describing how activities can be modified
- Understand the legal requirements and responsibilities of organisations and coaches in regard to health and safety in the paddle coaching environment
- Understand the policies, procedures and documentation needed to ensure safe paddling sessions
- Understand, identify and manage hazards and risks in the paddle coaching environment
- Understand knowledge and use of appropriate paddling gear and equipment
- Understand effective group management skillsand strategies
- Understand child protection principles
- Understand the principles of emergency planning and actions
- Understand and demonstrate effective paddling skills and techniques required to teach the Try, Learn, Explore participant programs
- Understand and demonstrate effective rescue skills in a flat sheltered environment
- Understand basic technical fundamentals and games used as part of the Try Learn Explore programs
CRNZ plan to deliver a series of TLE Workshops around the country over the coming months. If you are interested in attending a workshop or having one in your region, please register your interest here or contact Danika.
If you have any questions about this or the Try Learn Explore program, please contact Danika Mowlem, CRNZ Participation Lead.